Wednesday, May 18, 2005

True Love is Content

True love is content. It has its reward in what it loves. For if you seem to love something, but really love it for the sake of something else, you actually love what you are pursuing as your real end, not that which is a means to it. (Bernard of Clairvaux)


In pursuits which are based in love the true end is that which you are pursuing. Since there are a multitude of things we can and do pursue we must question why we pursue them. If our pursuits are of money, to what end do you pursue it? greed? love? or is it facilitation of other pursuits? If our pursuits are of others, why are we pursuing them? Is it love? or does it fill a need?

If our pursuit is of God, is it because of Love? or do we want something? Do you pursue God because he is or do you pursue him because he has the ability to give you something you want?

Contemplate what it means to minister to the Lord. Seek to love him because he is and not becaue of what he has done or will do for you.

1 Comments:

Blogger theyoungstag said...

He came not to be served but he has set me free so that I can serve. Ministering to the Lord is something I have just begun to contemplate. Is it possible? Cornelius's prayers were a memorial before the Lord. If it possible to minister to the Lord, then I echo what you said, How?

I'm really searching for the point where I love the Lord because He is and not because of what he has done for me or will do for me. I want to begin to grasp and enjoy the beauty of the Lord like david had when he said:

"One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple."

That same one thing that Jesus exhorted Martha too in light of Mary's posture toward him at their home:

"Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her."

Knowing the Lord and enjoying just that, that i know him!

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home